Stack Overflow empowers the world to develop technology through collective knowledge. More than 100 million people visit Stack Overflow every month, making it one of the most-visited websites in the world.
Best known for its public platform, Stack Overflow helps people find the answers they need, when they need them. That includes serving up relevant technologies to the community through Stack Overflow Advertising, providing direct access to technology-specific subject matter experts with Collectives™, sharing more about companies as future employers, and helping teams scale with its market-leading knowledge sharing and collaboration platform, Stack Overflow for Teams.
As an Engineering Manager, you’ll help your teams reach their full potential, and help each individual contributor on your teams advance in their careers. Coming from an engineering background, but with a passion for people management, you can help your engineers understand how to solve problems, both as individuals and teams. As a guiding voice in a cross-disciplinary, productivity driven workplace you’ll impact millions of developers every day and shape the future of the largest community of developers on the planet. Some recent projects we've been working on include:
- Creating a brand new product to facilitate communication with authors of widely known technologies.
- Rebuilding our entire onboarding flow to increase user adoption
- Creating self serve work flows to enable ad-hoc customers
- Building a feature to report and quality control ads on the Stack Exchange network
As a company dedicated to increasing developer knowledge, we’ll give you the resources and support you need to help your teams grow and thrive.
This remote position is open to individuals located in the U.S., Canada, U.K. and Germany.
What You’ll Do
Your responsibilities would include:
- Directly managing 2 engineering teams consisting of between 3 to 6 engineers on each team
- Run all of our general team exercises, such as goal setting, check-ins, reports, trainings, etc. for all members of your teams
- Have weekly 1:1’s with all direct reports
- Work with other Agile team members such as Product Managers, Agile Leaders, Tech Leads, and others, to ensure that team level goals are being met.
- Work with Directors to ensure that teams are executing projects and functions necessary to meet organizational strategic needs
- Organize and run any meetings necessary for their teams to accomplish their goals
- Provide career guidance and help engineers manage their career progression at Stack Overflow
- Mediate and resolve conflicts
We expect to see:
- 4+ years of experience directly managing engineers in a modern engineering environment
- 2+ years of software engineering experience with knowledge of MVC architectures, modern web development practices and general common architecture practices.
- Demonstrated practical experience with modern cloud-based infrastructure.
- Positive experience with Agile development methodologies and practices with demonstrated experience of at least one methodology (Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience with personnel management practices and techniques, including, but not limited to
- Goal setting
- Positive and negative feedback
- Effective 1:1’s
- Career guidance
- Conflict resolution
- Basic project management skills
- A strong desire to help their reports reach their full potential and progress in their careers
- Experience managing remote-first or distributed teams of engineers
- A track record of promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion on their teams and product
- Excellent problem solving skills. You excel at analyzing and solving problems using technology.
- This remote position is open to individuals located in the U.S., Canada, U.K. and Germany.
What You’ll Get in Return:
- Competitive Base Salary ($175K - $205K USD)
- Generous paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Equity for all employees at all level
- Industry-leading health benefits that are applicable per country of residence for all our full-time employees
- Company-paid Life Insurance
- Health & wellness stipend
- Home Internet stipend
- Professional allocation for your growth and development
- Company-paid access to Calm, Bravely, LinkedIn Learning, and Overdrive
If your role is not located in one of our offices…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office. And, you will receive an additional $400 allowance for your home office set up on each anniversary date.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work in one of our offices, you’ll be part of a team culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.