Stack Overflow empowers the world to develop technology through collective knowledge. More than 100 million people visit Stack Overflow every month, making it one of the most-visited websites in the world.
Best known for its public platform, Stack Overflow helps people find the answers they need, when they need them. That includes serving up relevant technologies to the community through Stack Overflow Advertising, providing direct access to technology-specific subject matter experts with Collectives™, sharing more about companies as future employers, and helping teams scale with its market-leading knowledge sharing and collaboration platform, Stack Overflow for Teams.
As Senior Software Developer, you’ll be a respected thought leader, a high productivity engineer, and a role model for other developers in the company and in our community. As a leading voice on a cross-disciplinary, agile squad of designers, product managers, and other engineers, the solutions you’ll architect for our most visible products will impact millions of developers every day and shape the future of the largest community of developers on the planet. Some recent projects we've been working on include:
- Automating site elections to allow users to nominate, discuss, and vote for moderators of over 150 Q&A communities that attract over 100 million global visitors every month.
- Overhauling our global question review system to enable our user community to moderate and improve over 20 million questions on our platform.
- Rolling out a home grown and open source rich text / markdown editor to improve question drafting and editing for the thousands of contributors who use it every day.
You'll work primarily in our main tech stack of C#, ASP.NET, and Microsoft SQL Server, with supporting technologies like Redis, TypeScript, and Elasticsearch. As a company dedicated to increasing developer knowledge, we’ll give you the resources and support you need to develop mastery in your craft.
This remote position is open to individuals located in the U.S., Canada, U.K. and Germany.
Skills and Requirements
We expect to see:
- Extensive programming skills in C# and .NET or other similar strongly typed languages and web frameworks, with a track record of getting stuff done. You are adept at shipping high quality, well-tested code in a fast paced environment.
- 5+ years of full-stack web development experience with any major server-side stack, relational database, and modern front-end (JS, HTML, CSS). Experience in our stack is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Deep experience with Agile methodologies such as Scrum, XP, or Kanban. You’ve been on teams that practice Agile and you understand why it’s beneficial for the team. Certification is a plus, but not a requirement.
- A track record of leading and mentoring less experienced developers. You are eager to teach others and invested in the growth of your team.
- Self-motivating, self-directing, and a great communicator (written and oral). You thrive in an environment that grants you a lot of autonomy to explore creative solutions.
- Excellent problem solving skills. You excel at analyzing and solving problems using technology.
- Living and working within GMT-7:00 (US) to GMT+2:00 (Europe) time zones.
We like to see (but not required):
- Experience working remotely and/or working with teams that are distributed geographically.
- An active Stack Overflow profile, open source code, example projects that you're proud of (whether open source or worked on at a previous job), or any other evidence of your passion for building great software.
- Knowledge of how Stack Overflow works from our blog, podcasts, and other public artifacts. Ideas about how to evolve the platform and increase our impact on the developer community are even better.
- Experience with building high scale, community-based web applications with 6-figure monthly unique visitors or more. Skills working with large amounts of data or utilizing machine intelligence are a plus.
What You’ll Get in Return:
- Competitive Base Salary ($150K - $200K USD)
- Generous paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Equity for all employees at all level
- Industry-leading health benefits that are applicable per country of residence for all our full-time employees
- Company-paid Life Insurance
- Health & wellness stipend
- Home Internet stipend
- Professional allocation for your growth and development
- Company-paid access to Calm, Bravely, LinkedIn Learning, and Overdrive
If your role is not located in one of our offices…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office. And, you will receive an additional $400 allowance for your home office set up on each anniversary date.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work in one of our offices, you’ll be part of a team culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.