(United States, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, UK, Ireland, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Poland, Spain, Austria, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Portugal, Netherlands, Switzerland)
We are targeting GMT +1 to GMT -8 in the countries identified with core overlapping hours of 10am-1pm Eastern Standard
Stack Overflow empowers the world to develop technology through collective knowledge. More than 100 million people visit Stack Overflow every month, making it one of the most-visited websites in the world.
Best known for its public platform, Stack Overflow helps people find the answers they need, when they need them. That includes serving up relevant technologies to the community through Stack Overflow Advertising, providing direct access to technology-specific subject matter experts with Collectives™, sharing more about companies as future employers, and helping teams scale with its market-leading knowledge sharing and collaboration platform, Stack Overflow for Teams.
As a Staff Front-End Developer at Stack Overflow, you’ll provide guidance and technical leadership for the Design Systems Team which owns our design system, Stacks. The team will create and maintain accessible, performant, reusable components for Stack Overflow’s product teams and users. You’ll lead the team in technology selection (frameworks, package delivery), and implementation planning. Your work with designers, engineers, and product managers will enable migration of our existing front-end to our shared component library. Some recent projects we've been working on include:
- Continuous improvements to Stack Exchange and Stack Overflow including tools, UX improvements, and features for community members and moderators alike.
- Developing internal tools to automate time-consuming processes for other developers and members of the company and community.
- Centralizing and rebuilding theming across our Teams, Collectives, Stack Exchange Network products.
- Converting the entirety of Stack Overflow to responsive layouts and removing our mobile-specific views.
Skills and Requirements
We expect to see:
- Proven experience leading the design and maintenance of end-user facing, data intensive web applications at scale.
- Demonstrated success building organization-wide, component-based design systems and leading other teams in their adoption.
- Experience building, shipping, and advocating for accessible components.
- Success delivering and supporting solutions used daily by product engineering teams.
- Experience mentoring less-experienced developers. You know how to build skills and teach others in an empathetic and kind way.
- Proven desire to collaborate within your team as well as across functions to foster consens and ensure alignment.
- Self-motivation, self-direction, and great communication (written and oral). This does not mean that you need to speak or write English perfectly! You thrive in an environment that grants you a lot of autonomy to explore creative solutions.
- Living and working within GMT-7:00 (US) to GMT+2:00 (Europe) time zones.
We like to see (but not required):
- Practical experience with content management, social media, and user communities.
- Experience working remotely and/or working with teams that are distributed geographically.
- Evidence of community involvement: an active Stack Overflow profile, open source contributions, blog posts, speaking engagements, community volunteering, or any example project that you're proud of.
- Familiarity with static site generation tools (we currently use 11ty).
- Experience with server-side rendering technologies (we currently use Razor views).
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (COVID vaccine required), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams). While we’re generally very flexible on working hours, living and working within GMT-7:00 to GMT+2:00 time zones (US through Europe) is required for scheduling and interaction with your team and support staff who assist our customers. We also believe in strong work-life balance and are focused on making sure that everyone finds a good balance, whether in-office or remotely.
What You’ll Get in Return:
- Competitive Base Salary between $170,000 and $195,000
- Generous paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Equity for all employees at all level
- Industry-leading health benefits that are applicable per country of residence for all our full-time employees
- Company-paid Life Insurance
- Health & wellness stipend
- Home Internet stipend
- Professional allocation for your growth and development
- Company-paid access to Calm, Bravely, LinkedIn Learning, and Overdrive
If your role is not located in one of our offices…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office. And, you will receive an additional $400 allowance for your home office set up on each anniversary date.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work in one of our offices, you’ll be part of a team culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.