(United States, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, UK, Ireland, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Poland, Spain, Austria, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Portugal, Netherlands, Switzerland)
We are targeting GMT +1 to GMT -8 in the countries identified with core overlapping hours of 10am-1pm Eastern Standard
At Stack Overflow, our mission is to empower the world’s developers. Every day, millions of developers come to us to get answers to their programming questions, collaborate better with their teams, and find their next dream job. As the world continues to transform with technology as a leading force, we’re driven to make Stack Overflow a place where everyone who codes feels welcome to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.
As a senior full-stack software developer on the Teams team, you’ll join a cross-disciplinary team of developers, designers, and product managers working on new and existing features while supporting existing product tiers. The contributions you’ll make will have a far-reaching impact and help shape the future of the world’s largest community of developers. Some recent projects we've been working on include:
- Our Stack Overflow for Teams free tier, where teams of up to 50 people share knowledge together privately and securely on the Q&A platform that they already use and love.
- An upgrade to our search engine to provide a read-only search index of our public questions and answers to our cloud-hosted Teams and Enterprise customers. It even incorporates a new nested question and answer view that is a much more intuitive and useful user experience!
- Creation and rollout of our home grown and open source rich text / markdown editor to improve question drafting and editing for the thousands of contributors who use it every day. This feature was born on Teams and has made its way back to the public Q&A site.
You'll work primarily in our main tech stack of C#, ASP.NET, and Microsoft SQL Server, with supporting technologies like Redis, TypeScript, and Elasticsearch. If you’re not familiar with our specific tech stack, we'll pair you with mentors who will help you bridge the gaps. As a company dedicated to increasing developer knowledge, we’ll give you the resources and support you need to develop mastery in your craft.
Skills and Requirements
We expect to see:
- Strong programming skills in your language of choice (not necessarily ours) and a track record of getting stuff done.
- 5+ year(s) of full-stack web development experience with any major server-side stack, relational database, and modern front-end (JS, HTML, CSS). Experience in our stack is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Experience with Agile methodologies such as Scrum, XP, or Kanban. You’ve been on teams that practice Agile and you understand why it’s beneficial for the team.
- Prior experience developing software solutions for companies and/or end users. You've built features and fixed bugs for a commercial product offering before.
- Self-motivating, self-directing, and a great communicator (written and oral). This does not mean that you need to speak or write English perfectly! You thrive in an environment that grants you a lot of autonomy to explore creative solutions.
- Excellent problem solving skills. You excel at analyzing and solving problems using technology.
- Living and working within GMT-7:00 (US) to GMT+2:00 (Europe) time zones.
We like to see (but not required):
- Experience working remotely and/or working with teams that are distributed geographically.
- Experience shipping features in a fast-moving, cross-disciplinary team (Product Managers, Designers, UX Researchers, Product Marketing, etc).
- Experience mentoring less-experienced developers. You know how to build skills and teach others in an empathetic and kind way.
- Experience with building high scale, end-user applications. Skills working with large amounts of data, feature flagging, and A/B testing of features are a plus.
- An active Stack Overflow profile, open source code, example projects that you're proud of (whether open source or worked on at a previous job), or any other evidence of your passion for building great software.
- Knowledge of how Stack Overflow works from our blog and podcasts.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (re-opening in Fall 2021 at the earliest due to COVID-19), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams). While we’re generally very flexible on working hours, living and working within GMT-7:00 to GMT+2:00 time zones (US through Europe) is required for scheduling and interaction with your team and support staff who assist our customers. We also believe in strong work-life balance and are focused on making sure that everyone finds a good balance, whether in-office or remotely.
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive Base Salary between $149K and $201K USD
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and paid sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- 401K match
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If your role is not located in one of our offices…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll be in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunches, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (re-opening voluntarily Fall 2021), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.